Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Sense of Place (The Exhibit): Part 1

"What is this life if, full of care, 
We have no time to stand and stare."
                               -- W. H. Davies

Beginning on the 17th this month and running till October 31st, I've been invited to exhibit some of my nature and travel journals at the Central Library in Fort Worth, Texas, and to teach a series of four journaling workshops (three beginning and one advanced) for the general public.

just a few of the journals and journaling-related items that will be on public display


  • The first workshop (entitles Sketching from Nature) will be held at the Fort Worth Botanical Garden from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (with a one-hour break for lunch) on Friday, September 20. 
  • The second workshop is entitled Sketching on Location: Place-based Journaling and will run from 1-5 p.m. on Saturday, October 5, at the Log Cabin Village historical park. 
  • A 3-hour workshop on Urban Sketching will be held at the Central Library from 1-3 p.m. on Sunday, October 13 (following which interested participants can opt to join me for some sketching in nearby Sundance Square). 
  • And a workshop entitled Advanced Sketching: Toned Paper will meet from 9-11 a.m. on Tuesday, October 29.

All workshops are free and all required materials and supplies will be provided. (Take them home with you afterward to continue your journaling adventure!) Enrollment in each workshop is limited to 10 participants each (to maximize one-on-one instruction time), so early enrollment is highly recommended. Participation by all ages and experience levels is most welcome, but please note that under-aged children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Over the next several weeks I'll be posting a series of articles, each focusing on a specific travel adventure, journal type, or sketching technique, that you can expect to experience in person at the exhibition and during the workshops.

For additional information you can drop me an email, visit the library's activities site online (http://fortworthtexas.gov/library/WorthReading/event/?id=114616), or phone 817.392.7323 to register.
If you happen to live in the greater DFW area (or will be visiting the area), please consider joining us.

"The real voyage of discovery consists
not in seeking new landscapes but in
having new eyes."
                                   -- Marcel Proust

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful opportunity for your community, Earnest. I am honestly sad that I don't live in Fort Worth to get in on these!! You are really giving those lucky 10 students a wonderful gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie. I expect it will be as much fun for me as for the workshop participants. :-D

      Delete
  2. Congratulations. Wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yorky. (Then again, with the heat we've been having here lately, I wish I could be in Lancashire. ;-D ) Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Wish I lived closer! I'd love to attend one of your advanced workshops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe I'll just have to see what I can do to bring a workshop to your area. (Or at least closer... like maybe the DelMarVa Pen. or Blue Ridge Parkway maybe?) :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm in NY, wish I could be Texas for this, so sorry to miss it. I volunteer to teach nature journaling at local wildlife refuges here on Long Island, and starting to give classes in libraries. But I'm nowhere near your level. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. Sorry you won't be able to make it down for the show or workshop. But very best of luck with your own journaling and workshops in NY.

      Delete